Wednesday 28 January 2015

I have a confession

I feel like a fraud. For the past ten weeks I've been training on a treadmill. There it is, swing your punches, bring the abuse, I'm ready for it.

The race is in less than a month, and I've been happily plodding along each week in the gym, increasing my distance and time, but still not braving the elements and trying out my kit properly pre-race. That was until today. I feel relieved to have finally got it off my chest.

Following some advice from one of the girls at the Scope training day,  I incorporated some hills into the 11K today - although I could hardly not, being the type of person who does in fact live on top of a hill.) It slowed my pace but it was worthwhile, I'm sure my body will thank me in four weeks time. I also tried out one of the TORQ gels, which tasted bloody divine, and I'll be ordering some more just as soon as I finish writing this. It helped me refocus and freshen up at the 10K mark, and I felt like i could have kept going for longer, but my hips were killing me.

It was so beautiful running outside today. It was cold, but I warmed up quickly, and my mileage passed much quicker because I was so distracted by the route. I also only got beeped at once -bonus!- which is something that has always put me off running outside more. Ultimately I'd like to live in a world where I can venture outside to exercise and not be objectified, but it's a work in progress I guess.

Do you run inside on a treadmill, or outside braving the elements? Which do you prefer, and why?

I think from now on I'll mix it up a little bit, but with the weather brightening up I'm sure the outdoor runs will be more frequent.

25 days to go


No comments:

Post a Comment