Monday 26 January 2015

This girl can


Cue Missy Elliot. I think this is one of my favourite western female empowerment campaigns I've seen in a while.

When I was growing up I felt like there was always the expectation that sport/fitness was driven to appeal more to boys. I loved running around with my sister, playing games, trying to outrun her & the other girls in our street (although I often fell behind, being the youngest with the littlest legs.) When I reached primary school I played netball but I lost interest in it by the time I was an awkward thirteen year old trying to work out how to survive secondary school. I'd get embarrassed with how red my face went, how awkwardly I moved, how 'unfeminine' I felt & how I so desperately wanted to fit in and make friends. In my head doing exercise and sport made me look ugly and clumsy, rather than strong.

Now I love running. I love being sweaty. I love playing competitive games. I love pushing my body to the limits. I love getting stronger and moving faster. But this was something I only really came to terms with recently. That can be part of my identity, as a woman. It was something that I'd kind of brushed aside, that I wasn't 'sporty' enough. Then I grew up, and I realised it was something I valued and actually enjoyed. It surprised me, but I was glad for the realisation.

This Girl Can is a fucking brilliant campaign. I hope it encourages lots of women and girls to enjoy sport on a much bigger scale.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant Immy...this must be true for so many girls. It was the same when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete