Wednesday 27 January 2016

Headspace

I'm a thinker. I have an anxious, thoughtful mind that doesn't often let me switch off. In some respects it's great; I have a vivid imagination and can easily spend time by myself conjuring up ideas. However when things are bad in can be exhausting. I find it hard to switch off, to sleep solidly, to let me mind rest. And entirely impossible to just be.

I work in a colourful and vibrant environment, surrounded by people and chatter. There's never a dull moment and I enjoy the pace, but when I get home, the noise from work often follows me.

There are a few things I've found that help to settle 'the noise', Headspace being one of them.

Headspace is a brilliant little resource containing audio sessions to help you take time to meditate and be mindful in a busy world where wellness is often put on the back burner. The app itself is free on iTunes and gives you access to a free trial called 'Take 10', which is essentially the foundation of mindfulness. You can repeat the 'Take 10' series as much as you like, and if you want to sign up for a full subscription you can. In the past when I've been anxious I've used the 'Take 10' sessions to help calm myself down, but over Christmas I decided to download the full paid subscription, and try and incorporate it into my daily routine, with the aim of allowing myself that time and space to slow down.

The yearly subscription costs £4.99/month, so about £60. I've read reviews where people say otherwise, but I think that's pretty reasonable. The way I see it, people spend money fuelling their problems (gin, ice-cream, new gadgets... the list goes on) and I've been 100% guilty of spending money in the past as a way of distraction. Rather than spending money trying to distract myself from the discomfort in my head, if I invest in learning about being more mindful, hopefully it will help me access the route of my problems, and in turn help me feel happier and calmer.

I'm on day 29 and so far, so good. I'll update you further down the line, but even already I've noticed a massive improvement in just being more aware of how I'm feeling, and trying to keep focussed on what's right in front of me.

I'd love to hear if you've ever used Headspace or any other mindfulness apps in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment