Monday 29 December 2014

Week Five: Rest

Christmas had flown by once again, and I've returned from my Mum's after a festive five days. I fully intended on running during the past week, as every week is crucial to get me closer to the half marathon in February, but I ended up spending more time sleeping, eating & playing Cards Against Humanity than I had anticipated.



I was pretty poorly the week before Christmas - and in fact totally lost my voice - so I needed a bit of down time. Mentally I really missed running this week, I needed that rest bite I get from the freedom of running, and the validation I feel after completing a run. But I wasn't well and it's important to learn to listen to my body when it's not right. 

I've since ordered a Garmin Forerunner 10 to help track my runs, and it should arrive tomorrow in time for a pre-work run (weeeee!) and I'm hoping to get myself some snazzy new running tights to keep me going through the cold. It's partly a reward for all the mileage I've already put in, and partly encouragement to keep me going long enough to complete the half in Brighton in 8 weeks. 

Things I've learnt over the past five weeks
  • Running is just as mediative as yoga. I love the freedom I have to let my mind run as my body does the hard work. Sometimes it's much harder mentally than physically, when my brain doesn't want to run I've got to carry on anyway, which is something new to me. I'm learning a lot about my boundaries, and more than anything perseverance. My willpower and pain threshold are a lot greater than I thought.
  • Eat properly before a run, otherwise prepare to be very uncomfortable. From eating too close to a run causing a bad stitch, to not consuming enough pre-run and having horrible jitters and sickness after a run, it's been a learning curve. Good nutrition is the basis of every good run.
  • I won't always want to run, but that doesn't mean I can't run anyway. 
I hope you've all had a fun week relaxing with family and friends, health and happiness to you and yours for a brilliant end to 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment